Monday, November 17, 2008

the high hand gallery






I joined a gallery.
Funny thing is it is not where I’d expected. It’s in a small town near where I currently live.
The gallery is under the same roof as a really lush plant nursery. This is a nursery unlike anything I have seen! It’s like a botanical garden, a place that you could lose yourself in.

I spent Friday afternoon gallery sitting. It felt weird, like it was a strange dream and not really my life. Being a part of a gallery sort of blows me away. Of course a little negative voice creeps up too and says – “it’s just a collective, it’s a small town, it’s only blah, blah, blah…” as if the accomplishment isn’t really an achievement. And yet I know it is. I know I have come a long way and that my work has progressed and grown.

I spent Saturday and Sunday in the nursery participating in an event called Art in the Garden. Eight artists created work while placed around the nursery as a way of adding interest and promoting the gallery. This felt a bit like my open studios show in a way, as I answered questions about my work and talked with passersby. It was a good weekend. The fact that I am here, working with artists here in this small town blows me away because all of these opportunities have come up unexpectedly and they blow away many of my judgments and preconceived notions about this area. It’s been refreshing to say the least.

High Hand Gallery
3790 Taylor Rd
Loomis, CA 95650

No comments: