
The Adventure:
I few months back I decided to submit a proposal to the SF Arts Commission in response to their call for art for a program which temporarily places original art installations by San Francisco artists in vacant storefront windows located on Taylor Street in the Tenderloin, Third Street in Bayview, Central Market Street and Lower 24th Street in the Mission to engage local artists in reinvigorating neighborhoods and commercial corridors that have been hard-hit by the economic downturn. I can remember filling out the proposal, second-guessing myself and even questioning whether or not to turn it in. So imagine my surprise when I received a call saying that out of the 180 proposals I was one of twenty artists selected!
The work needed to be completed between August 31 and October 1, which did not leave me much time considering that many of my pieces can take a month and a half to two months to complete. I needed 12 pieces for my window with only two months to pull it together.
Family and friends looked at me like I was insane asking how I could possibly pull it off. And yet I went to work, ready to face the challenge and while to this day I don’t know how I did it, I completed the artwork for the window. The process of working on this group of work felt like preparing for a big final project. My days were filled and I spent many days in the house hard at work for as long as my hand would hold up.
No comments:
Post a Comment