Monday, March 07, 2011

boldness = genius, power & magic

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative there is one elemental truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now." -Goethe


I have used this quote a number of times over the years. It came to mind today as I forced myself out the door to pursue yet another opportunity. Today was a really rough day physically and emotionally and yet at the same time it was good. I keep raising the bar for myself. The ideas I have for a new sculpture are exciting and scary. Some of these feelings are because I don’t necessarily know if I can pull of what’s in my head. Yet I am excited and want to try. Meanwhile, as soon as I committed to these outlandish plans, I have found myself ‘stumbling’ upon all kinds of photos that will serve as inspiration. I am talking about the most incredible imagery – photos I couldn’t find if I set out to find them and yet here they are like a gift from God. Hey – maybe it’s His way of winking at me and saying ‘go for it’.

No comments: