Notes from the bus--
It’s a rare thing to find a bus driver who waits for people to find a seat before jerking the bus into gear and pulling off. I watched as he waited for an elderly woman with a big bag of groceries to find a seat even though she walked to the middle of the bus before sitting down.
I saw a teenage girl with a cute chubby faced baby in pink ruffled pants and a purple sleeveless shirt. The baby looked like a modern day cherub as her mom held her while sitting next to the baby’s daddy – a guy who looked like a sophomore in high school.
A really thin man with an extreme under bite wearing a security uniform sat in the seat across from me on the bus. Why do security guards tend to look fearful and timid or old and slow- especially the ones guarding a bank when the most muscular, intimidating ones are guarding a dance club? Hmmm…
There was a really loud talking sassy lady on her cell phone talking throughout the entire ride. In case you were wondering – she was on her way to “this high a#@ meat market to get some ground beef” because tonight she’s making a big meatloaf, mashed potatoes and creamed corn! Her meatloaf is special. I heard the whole recipe (along with the rest of the passengers on the bus). She uses ground beef, ground pork, carrots, onions, spinach, some breadcrumbs and a couple of other spices that she throws in. Yes girl! She uses spinach in her meatloaf! She tosses those carrots and spinach along with the other ingredients into a food processor. If the kids ask her what the green stuff is she just says, “ Oh that’s mama’s special spices!” (Yes- I smiled and tried not to laugh when I heard that remark…)
I watched a really plain looking woman get on the bus. She wore a grey t-shirt, a boring black quilted coat and some faded mom jeans. Her hair was silver and in a roller set. She looked so blah. Such a blank and bored look rested on her wrinkled makeup free face. Then I suddenly noticed something. As she sat down I looked at her feet. Peppermint striped red and white socks peeked out from her black orthopedic shoes.
No comments:
Post a Comment