Monday, August 27, 2012
note to self
Put aside all of your doubts and worry for a minute and celebrate this - You were chosen out of the 800 or more artists who will be a part of SF Open Studios as one of the 10 artists who will be highlighted this fall in the guidebook. You are a "spotlight artist" this year. This does not happen for everyone. This is a big city filled to the brim with artists and they chose you. So what if you were freaked out about running late because you missed a bus? So what if you had to talk to the guard at the gate for ten minutes and then walk two blocks in the blaring sun from the guard gate because the bus left while you were talking to the guard? So what if your hair was frizzy and you were sweating today and had to wipe off most of your makeup as sweat ran down your face while the photographer took your photo for the guide. It still looked pretty good and you still managed to pull it off. Just take a moment to stop striving long enough to take in the fact that here in a major city you are making your work and people are paying attention. Today you sat in your well lit studio, a studio you have been granted until next May because again - you were chosen from a competitive group of artists to be the artist-in-residence. How many people get this kind of opportunity?? And here you are!
So, even though you are broke and you are almost out of wire and you get filled with doubt way too often - you can't brush over the good.
And there is always a silver lining. Always.
*** this was written because I get so caught up rushing and worrying that I don't stop and simply appreciate the good as much as I should. It's not a boastful thing but rather an acknowledgment of how far I've come. I've worked hard and I've been blessed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment