Friday, September 21, 2012

art for AIDS auction

I cannot believe that a week has already passed since this event. Last Friday I attended the Art for AIDS Annual Art Auction. I have been donating work to this event for over ten years now.This year they held it downtown in a beautiful room which had floor to ceiling windows on one side, revealing a big terrace and a great city view.

Of course, (as with any event) I was a little nervous but those feelings dissolved when I got there and saw so many artists I knew and hadn't seen for a while. I also found myself surprised and delighted as I circled the room with my mom and people approached me, excited to meet the person 'who'd created the fabulous wire dress'! I felt like a mini celebrity. I also overheard a few conversations as people talked about my work not knowing who I was or that I was standing nearby. It was mind-blowing and sweet. I almost felt like I needed this moment because life has been hard lately and it feels tempting to give up at times.

photo from the rooftop terrace area

I was excited to see my sculpture immediately as I entered the room

With each live auction artist, a slide with the lot number, photo and artists name was projected on the big screen above the auctioneer. My work was included in a group that included Jock Sturges,  Ross Bleckner, Rex Ray, Eric Zener, and others. Out of the 140 works for sale at the auction, only 25 were a part of the live auction.

The auctioneer and art handlers as my sculpture is being auctioned LIVE!

No comments: