The true object of all human life is play. Earth is a task garden; heaven is a playground. - G.K. Chesterton
What happens when people are allowed the chance to touch the art ?
What happens when you share an out of the ordinary experience with strangers?
What happens when people are given permission to forget themselves for a moment and just play?
What happens when you offer hope and open a door to optimism instead of despair?
I paired my wearable sculptures with several inspirational quotes I’d chosen and I allowed people a chance to play. The event ended up being more meaningful than I ever imagined. I watched as people responded with relief when given permission to touch the work. I realized they needed to be given permission to play and this consent, this blessing often went well beyond the experience before them. To place a crown upon one’s head required them to step outside of themselves, to be willing to look silly or to feel playful. The most serious people ended up with the biggest grins when they dropped their guard long enough to try something on. Some people took on different personalities in the accessories. Men became boys again. One guy read a quote and was visibly moved. He said it was just what he needed to hear. In the moment, I did not know exactly what he was reading but when he walked away I saw the quote that had moved him. It said:
Love the moment. Flowers grow out of dark moments. Therefore, each moment is vital. It affects the whole. Life is a succession of such moments and to live each, is to succeed. – Corita Kent
One couple tried on crowns and talked about what they thought heaven would be like and questioned just what heaven was. The woman questioned if there even is a heaven. All of this deep contemplation over silly hats and neckpieces.
I walked away from the evening feeling like I’d done something purposeful, something of substance as the artwork became the vehicle in which to touch lives. I mean, when else would you interact with complete strangers in such a way?
Art Explosion Summer Series
FRIDAY June 12th, 2009
7-10 pm
744 Alabama Street @17th
San Francisco, CA
No comments:
Post a Comment