Sunday, September 19, 2010

surprising observations...



I was in discount fabrics today looking around and as I stood in line waiting for the clerk to cut some fabric for me suddenly the whole store filled with really loud salsa music. It was so loud it drowned out the light rock that was playing over the PA system. Everyone looked around confused and wondering what was happening. Then suddenly we heard someone singing. The girl in line in front of me kept saying ‘What’s happening?” And then I saw it – a parade of leatherdaddies coming down the street. Leading the pack was a flatbed truck with some people performing. In the middle of it a drag queen began singing “I Will Survive” in Spanish to this incredible music. They were gearing up for the Folsom Street Fair next weekend… (Remind me to stay away from that side of town next weekend because bus schedules and traffic will be insane!)

Today’s sights also included seeing a girl in a beautiful fifties style skirt. It was lavender with the tiniest shimmery sequins all over it making up a floral pattern. She stood outside a nail salon smoking a cigarette in this beautiful skirt. The smoking and accessories were a surprise contrast to the beauty of this skirt. Her top was a grey hoodie and she wore converse on her feet.

On the bus I listened to two guys in their 50s go off about some housemate of theirs wasting ketchup. The amusing part of the conversation wasn’t so much about just how angered and riled up they got over the ketchup as much as the fact that they used the f-word in so many ways – as a noun, a verb, and an adjective for a good ten minutes.

At the bus stop a gray haired black man stood looking really rugged in his camouflage pants, black jacket and sports cap. Yet when he turned his head I saw a big dangling rhinestone earring hanging from his ear.

Days like this make me remember why I love San Francisco so much.

No comments: