Folks don't like nobody being too proud or too free. - The Color Purple, Alice Walker
Late last night I finally finished reading an autobiography about Nina Simone. Over the past several months I have watched clips of her performances on youtube and found myself enchanted and intrigued about her, wondering what her story was, what had brought her to this moment I found myself witnessing on the screen. Her life was quite a page turner! It was more sad that I expected although she definitely made a mark on the world. In some ways she poured out her life like a sacrifice as she gave more than she ever received.
For me - she gave me a brutal look at what happens when you decide to live apologetically as a woman pursuing her dream. I have been left with so much to think about...
No comments:
Post a Comment