Saturday, October 13, 2012

how do you move a mountain?

I went to bed at 2 am but got up at 7 am. Yes, 7 am on a Saturday morning. Crazy huh? It was not a fluke. I sat up after the alarm went off, made a to-do list and began to put the pieces of my day into place. After I'd filled a backpack to the point of almost bursting and did a variety of household chores, I loaded up my luggage cart with two of my newest pieces and headed over to the studio. It was sunny outside and beautiful. For some reason I have the hardest time going to the studio. I resist and then it gets built up into this full blown dread. Yet once I arrive, unlock the door and step inside, I am totally happy. It's like stepping into a bubble of sorts - a room of wonderland. I counted off the days on my calendar until open studios and I have 20 days until the event (as of tomorrow). Some advice I'd heard recently lingered in my head - "if you want change, you need to do things differently."

As I got ready this morning I kept thinking - just do little things. How do you move a mountain - one small rock at a time. At the studio I painted three sculptures and worked on completing another. I made lists. I sat and looked around the room at the sculptures I already have. I tried to imagine what the space will look like for open studios (I still can't).

Tonight I will be laying out tomorrow's clothes. Loading up my cart with more art. Filling another backpack. Going to bed at a decent hour. Then early tomorrow morning I will go back to the studio and begin again.
How do you create a great open studios experience - one day at a time.

No comments: