Tuesday, January 15, 2013

my offering

All things splendid have been achieved by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstance. – Bruce Barton 

The planet does not need more ‘successful people’. The planet desperately needs more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers and lovers of all kinds. It needs people to live well in their places. It needs people with moral courage willing to join the struggle to make the world habitable and humane and these qualities have little to do with success as our culture is the set. – Tenzin Gyatso 


Item of the Day - January 15, 2013
"the offering"
title: the offering
medium: wire
size: 27 in.(h) x 23 in.(w) 14 x in.(d)
price: $1500.
(female figure with hands open in offering)

Pledge $1500 to my campaign and snag this item! Hurry - there is only ONE!

 I knew I wanted to be an artist since I was around 5 years old. I remember watching the TV show 'Bewitched' and thinking I wanted Darrin's job at the advertising agency because it was creative. He got a chance to color and draw, creating storyboards. Then I wanted Rhoda's job as a window dresser at the boutique. Seeing her dress a mannequin made me think of playing all day with dolls! I remember my heart swelled at the thought of making the costumes and sets for the Muppets when I was 8. I wanted to be Miss Piggy's personal costume designer! I wrote fan letters to the actors on the TV show 'Fame' when I was in junior high school. I wanted to do something creative. As my high school years came to a close, my mother pressured me to pick something else - anything but art because she worried that I'd be poor. At the time we were dealing with so many financial struggles that she wanted me to do something that would make good money. I remember getting in trouble for being disrespectful one afternoon when my heartfelt response came off as nothing more than sass. My mom said, "You need to do something that pays well so that you won't be poor." I said, " Well, if I'm going to be broke, at least I'll be happy making art." I didn't want to come off as flippant, nor am I striving for the poor house - it's just that my desire to make art felt bigger than anything. I was willing and compelled to do it -- whether paid for it or not. And now here I am many years later, having worked the respectable 9-5, having completed college and spent years always striving to fit my art into my life - no matter how full. I am doing what I love full-time. It has not been easy. In fact, there have been many sacrifices. And yet I feel a strong determination about it because I know it is what I was meant to do. So again, thank you for supporting me along this path.

No comments: